UP webinar tackles how to prevent a dengue outbreak

| Written by Deina Blancaflor

The global incidence of dengue has grown dramatically, with about half of the world’s population now at risk. In fact, dengue incidence in the last 50 years has increased 30-fold, expanding to new countries, from urban to rural settings. The Philippines is among the top countries where dengue is endemic, and for several months now, sporadic cases have been showing up in communities.

Dengue is a viral infection transmitted to humans through the bite of infected mosquitoes. Although 80 percent are generally mild and asymptomatic cases, the remaining 20 percent still pose a great risk, and may even lead to hospitalization and worse, death. There is no specific treatment for dengue, but if diagnosed early and managed properly, severe cases may be avoided.

What are the latest updates on clinical management and early diagnosis of the disease? What early symptoms should people watch for? What is needed to survive a dengue outbreak? 

This February 24, from 12nn to 2pm, the University of the Philippines (UP), in partnership with UP Manila National Institutes of Health (NIH), National Telehealth Center (NTC), and in cooperation with UP-PGH, invite you to join the fight against C.O.V.I.D—current COVID-19 problems, other outbreaks, viruses, infections, and disasters.

In this episode of UP’s “Stop C.O.V.I.D Deaths” webinar series, titled “NAKAMAMATAY BA ANG DENUGE? Update on the Clinical Management of Dengue,” discussions will revolve around all the information needed to combat dengue, as well as the recent alarming outbreak in Region XIII.

Dr. Rontgene Solante, Chairman of the Adult Infectious Diseases and Tropical Medicine at San Lazaro Hospital, will present information on the clinical management of dengue in the local setting.

From a financing angle, Dr. Albert Domingo, Director III of the Quality Assurance Group of the Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PhilHealth), will talk about the case rates of dengue under the National Health Insurance Program.

Register here and catch our weekly live tweets and streams via the UP System Twitter account, TVUP’s YouTube channel, and Facebook page.

The award-winning UP “Stop COVID Deaths” Webinar Series is the Philippines’ first and only frontline-focused medical webinar series. It pioneered the discussion, dissemination, and adoption of knowledge on COVID-19 treatment and management. Follow our accounts to stay connected with your credible online community.