During the 2023 China–ASEAN Education Cooperation Week held at Guiyang, Ghuizou Province in China, from August 27- September 2, 2023, a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was officially signed between the University of the Philippines (UP) and the Guiyang Institute of Humanities and Technology (GYIHT).
GYIHT is an administratively independent full-time institute of higher learning in new mechanism founded in 2001. It consists of 16 executive departments and seven teaching departments. With over 16,000 students spread across 40 undergraduate programs, GYIHT specializes in the disciplines of law, education, literature, art, science, engineering, and management. At present, the institute has more than 800 full-time teachers, 70% of whom have a master’s degree or higher and some are cultural experts of the Chinese government.
The MoU establishes a basis upon which GYIHT and UP may explore areas of cooperation. In this regard, the parties have agreed to:
- Initiate joint projects involving international collaborative research and to share expertise and joint development of research;
- Facilitate academic development exchanges between the higher learning institutions, including mutual visits by faculty members to pursue research, teaching, and to participate in seminars, conferences, and workshops among others;
- Facilitate study visits and student exchange by postgraduate and undergraduate students where appropriate to enhance students’ learning experiences.
- Facilitate internship by undergraduate students where appropriate.
- To encourage faculty members of one higher learning institution who meet admission entry of the other institution to pursue master and doctoral studies at the other HEI.
- To initiate joint supervision for master and doctoral programs.