The University, through UP Mindanao (UPMin) and the Philippine Genome Center-Mindanao Satellite Facility, has partnered with 41 institutions to establish the Mindanao Genomics Consortium (MG Consortium). A ceremonial signing of the memorandum of understanding was held on October 28 at the UPMin College of Science and Mathematics.
MG Consortium consists of academic institutions, government agencies, civil society organizations, and industry representatives who recognize the importance of omics research and its pursuit. This includes the need for both a multi-omics facility to accommodate emerging omics research and capacity building programs to strengthen the scientific workforce of Mindanao.
The group aims to facilitate the conduct of omics research and collaborations that will enhance omics work in Mindanao, which it says have the “comparative advantage . . . to augment scientific advancement in the areas of agriculture, fisheries and aquatic resources, forestry, food safety and security, water quality, biodiversity, environmental management, health, forensics, emerging technologies, and human diversity in Mindanao.”
To this end, MG Consortium has three general courses of action: (1) to develop the manual of operations for the consortium; (2) to promote awareness on omics research and applications in development; and (3) to foster collaborations among consortium members.
The 43 MG Consortium member institutions are:
- Department of Science and Technology XI
- Department of Science and Technology X
- Ateneo de Davao University
- Brokenshire College
- Brokenshire Integrated Health Ministries Inc.
- Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources XI
- Cacao Industry Development Association of Mindanao Inc.
- Caraga State University
- Central Mindanao University
- Commission on Higher Education Region XI
- Compostela Valley State College
- Davao Doctor’s College
- Davao Light and Power Co.
- Davao Medical School Foundation
- Davao del Norte State College
- Davao Oriental Science and Technology State College
- Davao Regional Medical Center
- Department of Agriculture XI
- Department of Environment and Natural Resources-Ecosystems Research and Development Bureau
- Durian Industry Association of Davao
- Mindanao State University-General Santos
- Mindanao State University-Iligan Institute of Technology
- Mindanao State University-Naawan
- Mindanao State University-Tawi-Tawi College of Technology and Oceanography
- Philippine Eagle Foundation
- Philippine Institute of Traditional and Alternative Health Care
- Philippine National Police Regional Crime Laboratory Office XI
- Philippine Science High School- Southern Mindanao Campus
- Samahang Magmamangga ng Davao Region Inc.
- San Pedro College
- Southern Philippines Agri-Business and Marine and Aquatic School of Technology
- Southern Philippines Medical Center
- Surigao del Sur State University
- Tagum Agricultural Development Company Inc.
- University of the Immaculate Conception
- University of Mindanao
- University of the Philippines, through UP Mindanao
- University of Southeastern Philippines
- University of Southern Mindanao
- Vegetable Industry Council of Southern Mindanao Inc.
- Western Mindanao State University
- Xavier University
- Philippine Genome Center-Mindanao Satellite Facility