The Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs is headed by Vice President for Academic Affairs Maria Cynthia Rose B. Bautista. A Professor of Sociology, she is former Dean of UP Diliman’s College of Social Sciences and Philosophy, Executive Director of the UP Center for Integrative and Development Studies, and Commissioner of the Commission on Higher Education.
Bautista served on the advisory or governing boards of institutions such as the Philippine Institute of Development Studies, Philippine Social Science Council, Human Development Network, Asian Scholarship Foundation and the NUS Asian Research Institute. She chaired the UNESCO National Commission’s Social Science and Humanities Committee and the ASEAN Qualifications Reference Framework Task Force, and sat in the Executive Committee of the ASEAN Quality Assurance Network.
Bautista obtained her BA degree in Sociology from UP Diliman, magna cum laude and later earned her MS and PhD degrees in Sociology at the University of Wisconsin, Madison. Her awards include the National Academy of Science and Technology’s Outstanding Young Scientist and Outstanding Publication Awards, the Ten Outstanding Women in the Nation’s Service and the National Research Council of the Philippines’ Achievement Award for the Social Sciences.
Functions of the OVPAA
The Vice President for Academic Affairs, as head of the OVPAA, is directly responsible to the University President for providing substantive inputs to System-wide planning, formulation of policies and standards, monitoring and review, and coordination of curricular, instructional, research, library and extension program of the University of the Philippines.
The Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs (OVPAA) is the University of the Philippines System’s key academic support and implementation unit dedicated to achieving academic excellence, collegiality, ethical and democratic governance, international recognition, and a culture of creativity, research, and innovation towards the fulfillment of UP’s mission as the National University.
Under the OVPAA are the following offices:
- UP Philippine Genome Center
- Office of Admissions
- Office of International Linkages
- Office of Student Financial Assistance
- Technology Transfer and Business Development Office
- Center for Integrative and Development Studies
- Center for Women and Gender Studies
- UP Press
- UP CIFAL Philippines
- UP Korea Research Center
- UP SikLab
The OVPAA is committed to:
- Providing a nurturing and enabling teaching and learning environment;
- Designing programs that promote interdisciplinarity, collaboration and lifelong learning;
- Engaging with local and international partners and networks;
- Instilling the value of public service among the faculty and UP students as future leaders in different branches of knowledge;
- Keeping abreast with changes in the higher education landscape; and
- Developing, adopting and continuously improving procedures and innovative processes that embody professionalism, efficiency, consistency and care for its internal and external publics.
For more information on the OVPAA, you may also visit the Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs website by clicking here or the picture below.