The Philippine Genome Center and London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine is holding an international workshop on “Genomic Epidemiology on Infectious Diseases in the Philippines” on 03-07 July 2017 at the National Science Complex in University of the Philippines, Diliman, Quezon City.
This Workshop will bring together global experts on the study of genomic epidemiology of infectious diseases, particularly those affecting the Philippines. The Workshops aims to promote collaborations that will enhance the use of tools in bioinformatics, population genetics and statistics in infectious disease research. Days one and five of the Workshop, which will be held at the Institute of Biology auditorium, will focus on presentations and discussions relating to the role of genomics in the prevention and control of infectious diseases, with a focus on the Philippines. The other days, which will be held at the Computational Science and Research Center, will focus on genomic analyses with hands-on exercises. By the end of the Workshop, participants will be able to: (a) process raw sequence into a set of informative variants, through mapping to a reference genome or using de novo or reference-free assembly approaches, (b) conduct transcriptomic and proteomic analysis, in an integrated systems biology approach, and (c) perform downstream population genetic and association analysis.
- Participants must be Early Career Researchers: Early Career Researchers are defined as holding a PhD and having a maximum of up to ten years post-PhD research experience. MSc graduates and Research Assistants with extensive research experience are also encouraged to apply.
- Participants must have a research or recognized research institution post, research contract, or fellowship) at a recognized institution either in the UK or Philippines.
- Please note that participants are expected to attend all sessions of the Workshop. Those who are not chosen to participate in the 3-day hands-on exercises are welcome to attend presentations and discussions on days 1 and 5.
A confirmation email will be sent to respondents on June 19.
- Institute of Biology Auditorium: Presentations & Discussions, Day 1 & 5 (July 3 and 7)
- Computational Science and Research Center: Hands-on Exercises, Day 2, 3 & 4 (July 4-6)
For further inquiries, please call 981-8744 or 981-8742 and look for Dr. Benedict Maralit or Francis Tablizo. You may also email your inquiries at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About UP’s Philippine Genome Center The Philippine Genome Center (PGC) is a multidisciplinary institution that combines basic and applied research for development of health diagnostics, therapeutics, preventive products, and improved crop, aquaculture and animal varieties. It is a duly-created genomicsfocused and multi-disciplinary research unit of the University of the Philippines, the national university of the country. The main office and core facilities are currently housed at the 2/F NIMBB Building, National Science Complex, UP Diliman, Quezon City. Visit http://www.pgc.up.edu.ph to know more of PGC’s free webinars, workshops, and other scientific pursuits.